Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Morning Dink ,Tink & Think

Nobody wants to roll up their sleeves and dive into a meaningful project on a Sunday morning.  Nah, that ain't the rules of this here game.  In the meantiime, however, it's fun to take a cuppa joe out to the garage and mess around acting like we are doing something.  Here's what I did this morning and here's what I am thinking.

I spent quite a bit of time online and signed up for membership in the Off-Road Dot Com Forums.  Then I studied an ACK FAQ on the vacuum hoses.  That consumed almost an entire pot of coffee!

Next, I decided to swap out the PCV valve.  That's an easy task since I have a deep socket specifically for that valve.  It was evident no one had swapped that item in awhile--just getting the hose off made me wonder if I had bit off more than I could chew.  But it finally came off and the valve came out OK and I carefully put in a new valve I already had in my spare parts kit.

Meanwhile I took out the #3 sparkplug.  It looks brand new and properly gapped.  it is the wrong plug.  It's supposed to be a 5ES but it's a 5EY.  I'm not sure that would make much difference.

Then, I backed the beast out into the open air so I could run it without getting killed by carbon monoxide.  I pulled out my stethoscope and listened carefully to all parts of the engine.  There's some odd noises coming from this Zuki--not like major odd noises, just mysterious odd noises.  However, I couldn't find anything abnormal anywhere with the scope.  The disty, alternator and water pump purr as quietly as a kitten.  The valve train sounds fine--there's no noises come from the block or either manifold.  Nothing from the top of the tranny either.  Nothing from the carb.  I went over everything at least 3 times searching for odd noises but couldn't find a single one.

then I decided to hook up the timing light and that went A-OK until I pointed it down to the timing marks.  The fixed degree plate, of course, shows up fine but I couldn't see a timing mark to save my skin.  I turned everything off and got a strong light and looked high and low for a timing mark--there was none to be found.  I turned the timing light back on and still no luck.  Hum....that's odd and perplexing.  I'm not quite sure what to do about that.  I guess I will have to do some online study to get some ideas.

I could see there's a missing bolt in the radiator bracket--good thing I noticed that.  The hoses look old but serviceable.  I suppose it's time to rip the old ones off and put on new ones but, golly, I really don't like messing with radiator hoses, especially old ones that are bonded to the pipes.

If I decide to keep this Zuki, I think I will pull the radiator and have to gone through just for good measure.  While it's out, I will probably swap out the alternator, too, it's so much easier when the radiator is gone.

The only thing I could not check with the scope is the fan clutch--that might be the source of the noise.  Chances are its the original one.  I have a spare so I will probably just swap it out to see what happens. Since then I've learned the crank pulley bolts might be a tad bit loose. I reckon it would be a good idea to pull the radiator and then check the timing belt anyway--that's when I could check the pulley bolts.

Last night I spent a lot of time roaming the Craigs Lists of Slat Lake City, Missoula, Boise, Montana and Wyoming.  I found numerous Zuki parts and established email contact with three of the sellers.  I have a line on a complete Weber carb unit for $200, a good used t-case with a new bearing set for $150 and a whole bunch of parts down at Fort Hall.  I might go down there this afternoon and see if I can get the parts to fix up the broken dash glass.  This are progressing pretty well and I am pleased.

Now it's time to go hit a bucket of balls before the wind comes up.

Cheers, jp

No comments:

Post a Comment